FEX 1.82% 28.0¢ fenix resources ltd

Ann: Quarterly Activities Report, page-90

1. 1,545 Posts.
    For anyone wondering iron ore swaps cash settle at the average of the daily index price in the month of settlement - hence the hedge can't be perfect. Should a cargo be sold on a day that the price is below the average then there will still be a shortfall. Conversely if a cargo is sold on a day that is above the average then there is a benefit.

Question I wonder is would there have been any benefit to having shipped lower grade material in a time of low prices that then may have attracted a price discount whilst reserving higher grade material for higher prices in the future?

I haven't seen what premiums for an extra 1%Fe have done over the last little while however I recall that back when IO was falling off its highs in 2011/2012 Fe premiums were very low as low grade material was bid up. The rational was that blast furnaces didn't want to turn-off at the time and wanted to keep running while reducing their steel output and costs. (Chinese steel mills were even purchasing cargos around 40% Fe from India for that reason.) Obviously the opposite is true when prices are high and a mill wants to increase output and so higher grade material fetches a premium.

Does anyone know/ have some thoughts?

Agree some colour on the grade from management on the report would have been helpful.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add FEX (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
28.0¢
Change
0.005(1.82%)
Mkt cap ! $201.7M
Open High Low Value Volume
27.0¢ 29.0¢ 27.0¢ $653.1K 2.328M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
8 276485 28.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
28.5¢ 32247 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 27/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
FEX (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.