MNS 0.00% 4.2¢ magnis energy technologies ltd

The subject of herd mentality that you raise is an interesting...

1. 534 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 10
    The subject of herd mentality that you raise is an interesting thought in investing.

Successful US fund manager Mike Turner has some thoughts on this that MNS holders might resonate with. He says;

"One thing that all investors will learn sooner or later, one way or the other, is that they will either hold on to a stock too long, or they will get out too early, but more times than not they get out too late. Let's just say they buy a stock at $30 a share and sure enough it goes up to $35 and they're happy. And then it goes up to $40 and they're very happy. Then it doubles, it goes up to $60 and now they are bragging about it and thinking that they are really smart investors. they start telling their friends and their significant other how good a stock picker they are. Then maybe it triples, and goes up to $90 and they think there is nothing hard about making money in the stock market ".

He continues...

"And then that stock begins to come down. It drops to $80 but they are still way up, it still has great fundamentals, they're not going to sell it. Maybe it drops back down to $60, and now they are not as happy as they were at $90 they are still happy because its doubled and they are not unhappy with their choice.

Then something bizarre happens and the stock drops all the way back down to $30. And they are sick about that but they keep telling themselves that the stock is still a great company . I still love this company, I love their products, they have great products in the pipeline, I really want to hang on to this.

And then it drops down to $20. And then it drops down to $15. And no longer are they talking to their friends about their prowess for being a great stock picker. Now they are having a difficult time even sleeping at night. They keep thinking about the stock. Maybe they had a lot of money tied up in the stock.

So what do too many investors do right there? They say Well this stock is still a great stock, I think it will at least go back to $30 and probably eventually back to $60. I'm going to double down. I'm going to go out again and buy the same amount of shares at $15 that I bought at $30 so that I can average my cost down. So they buy more shares, hoping that when it does go back up to $30 they will make their money back or when it goes back up to $40 they can get out. But they are just second guessing. The only reason Ive ever seen for an investor averaging down is to massage their ego. They believe that they have iced the wrong stock and that the market is wrong and eventually the stock will come back because they made the right decision. They are still trying to convince themselves that they are smart.

Well here is a surprise for you about this; The market is never wrong. You're the one that's wrong.So they key here is to know when to get out of a stock."

I wonder how many trapped MNS holders from $1:00 downwards have an exit formula and how many are holding in hope, or even worse, buying more shares now.

I remain bearish on this company. It is a pin up chart for shorting success, and IMO management are at the mercy of an African "leader" looking to line his pockets as fast as he can.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MNS (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.