MSB 0.00% $1.10 mesoblast limited

"This is pretty naive scaremongering, but thanks for your...

1. 16,553 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 8086
    "This is pretty naive scaremongering, but thanks for your concern."

Because the content of a post is not gushingly positive it constitutes scaremongering?

The reason for this forum's existence is the discussion of stocks and, by definition, that is likely include opinions of varying dispositions towards the stock, including reference to some of the inherent risks.

Someone posed a question to the forum, and I chose to answer it... totally in keeping with HotCopper's raison d'etre.

And unlike the assertion of your response, I did not say that NovaQust would definitely be a seller of its stake in MSB, nor whether or not there would definitely be any market anticipation of it

What I said was, "....don't be surprised if the short interest in MSB rises in coming days in speculative anticipation - rightly or wrongly - of the NovaQuest line of stock being shopped around."

On that note, unless you are privy to the inner workings of the Investment Committee meetings at NovaQuest, or have access to the minutes of those meetings, I'm not sure how you can form the view that NovaQuest will not be a seller of their stake in MSB.

As a commercial, for-profit enterprise, NovaQuest will be surely seeking to maximise the investment returns on its capital and to do so will involve it deploying it into what it deems to be the most attractive investment opportunities that prevail at any given point in time.

So to say that NovaQuest will not sell their MSB stake presumes that they do not have any better investment alternatives right now, and given the vast array of opportunities that exist in markets at any given point in time, I'm not sure any such presumption can be defended.

Notably, if NovaQuest are as astute as you claim them to be, then they will be far too financially literate to be subject to the anchoring bias of "We acquired the stock at a higher price, so we can't possibly sell it now". Instead, they would look at each investing decision afresh, relative to other investment opportunities, and the fact that they happen to be underwater on any given investment position would, in isolation, be irrelevant.

(Incidentally, when I in the past wondered aloud whether Teva, the vendor of Osiris, Celgene and Mallinkrodt would be sellers of their interest in MSB as various points in time, it was pointed out to me - with similarly strident views as your own - that none of those entities would sell. For a host of bullish reasons. The rest, as they say, is history. Note: I am not saying that NovaQuest will sell their stake any time soon; heck, they might conclude that they can't do anything better with the cash. But, by the same token, they might. Who knows? But that unknowable outcome might still not be enough to prevent some animal spirits in the market from taking a punt on it.)

Then, to your "it's-too-hard-to-short-because-there-isn't-any-stock-and-the-borrow-cost-is too-high", as I said in my previous post, the investment banking and stockbroking fraternities are innately resourceful and their financial creativity knows almost no limits when it comes to the scope and prospect of making a buck.

When it comes to hedge funds putting on short-dated event trades, such as announcement arbitrage, merger arb, capital management arb, in which they might make a 10% profit over a period of just a few days or weeks, the annualised return on such trades dwarfs the 18% annual cost to borrow the stock.

As for your rebuttal that calls for perspective because 8.5m shares represents just 1.7% of the issued capital of the company, that might be factually right, but I'm not sure that the perspective is gained from that is overly relevant... certainly not nearly as relevant in terms of potential short-term share price impact as the fact that 8.5m shares represents about a full 10 trading days' average daily volume. Which is meaningful in the context of an escrow event that is less than 10 trading days hence. That is relevant perspective, no?

In closing, I stress again, that I am not expressing any view as to the likelihood of NovaQuest selling their stake after 10 July 2019, or of any market participants positioning themselves for that outcome.

People on HotCopper, and nowhere more than on the MSB threads, have a distinct penchant for speculating on why share prices behave in a certain manner of short time frames.

All I am doing is providing some kind of background as to why MSB's share price may - stress, may - behave going into the NovaQuest escrow date.

If some people see the need to sell their shares on that basis, then they really should not be managing their own investments.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MSB (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$1.10
Change
0.000(0.00%)
Mkt cap ! $1.250B
Open High Low Value Volume
$1.09 $1.13 $1.08 $5.380M 4.893M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 69437 $1.09

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$1.10 19999 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 10/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
MSB (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.