CTP 10.0% 5.5¢ central petroleum limited

Ann: Resignation of Director, page-36

1. 682 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 300
    Gidday PSI,

"My understanding is that is not how a take-or-pay contract in O&G usually works. If you don't take, you pay a fee but don't get to take it at a later date."

That is my understanding too, but it appears we have c. $13m of cash up front at Jun-18 to be spread over multiple years of gas delivery.  I believe some of this is from the PWC gas sales agreement and c. $10m of this was received as part of the EDL gas sales contract in April 2017 - I guess they have also structured this that if they don't take the gas, they still keep the money.

Therefore, CTP have a future obligation to make the gas available for delivery and appropriately they recognise the cash received that relates to future gas delivery, as a liability.  If the customer doesn't take it, they still recognise the revenue but just don't deliver the gas.  Note 15 (b) also provides the following text, confirming your thoughts - they won't get to take it at a later date:

"Take‐or‐Pay proceeds are taken to revenue at the earlier of physical delivery of the gas to the customer or upon forfeiture of the right to gas under the contract."

I'm sure it's obvious, but in summary:
    1. If CTP deliver the gas, they recognise the revenue but will incur opex costs to produce the gas, or;
    2. If CTP don't deliver the gas, they STILL recognise the revenue but won't incur the opex costs as no additional gas needs to be produced.

Both scenarios mean we don't receive any additional cash from the gas sales (other than net opex savings in scenario 2).

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CTP (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
5.5¢
Change
0.005(10.0%)
Mkt cap ! $40.70M
Open High Low Value Volume
5.0¢ 5.5¢ 5.0¢ $514.4K 10.27M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 631107 5.3¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
5.5¢ 98568 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 15.46pm 23/08/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
CTP (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.