RSG 5.00% 63.0¢ resolute mining limited

WA miners in West Africa prepare workforce for escalation of...

1. 9,236 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    WA miners in West Africa prepare workforce for escalation of Ebola virus

By Louise Merrillees
    Updated about an hour agoSat 23 Aug 2014, 3:49pm

West Australian mining companies with operations in West Africa are preparing their workforce as the threat of the Ebola virus escalates.

West Africa is battling the worst ever outbreak of Ebola, with the World Health Organisation (WHO) reporting the death toll has exceeded 1,200, with deaths recorded in Sierra Leone, Liberia, Nigeria and Guinea.
    WA-based Resolute Mining has three gold mines in Africa and Australia. Its Syama mine in Mali is a few hundred kilometres from the border with Guinea.

Chief executive officer Peter Sullivan said while mine operations are not yet affected, the company is educating surrounding communities about the threat of the virus spreading.

"It's business as usual at the site, but obviously we are monitoring the situation," he said.
    "We've carried out precautionary activities at our site to ensure we are best prepared should the virus enter Mali.
    What's concerning about this outbreak is it has gone on longer and impacted on more people than previous outbreaks.
    Dr Andy Robertson

"We are doing programs in communities that surround our mine site, so they are aware of the threat and how to reduce the potential of it affecting their community.

"We are also monitoring people coming and going from our site, particularly if they are travelling to Guinea."
    WA-based miner Tawana Resources, which is developing an iron ore project in Liberia, said it was halting all non-essential work in the region to protect its employees from infection.

In a statement to the Australian Stock Exchange, the company said all non-essential local staff, contractors and expatriate staff would be returning to their homes.

A state of emergency has been declared in Liberia, in an attempt to mitigate the spread of the disease within the country and across international borders.

Tawana executive chairman Wayne Richards said the company would continue to monitor the situation.

full story......http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-08-23/wa-miners-prepare-for-ebola-virus/5687038

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add RSG (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
63.0¢
Change
0.030(5.00%)
Mkt cap ! $1.341B
Open High Low Value Volume
61.0¢ 63.5¢ 61.0¢ $7.471M 11.98M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
4 31742 62.5¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
63.0¢ 488746 13
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 08/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
RSG (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.