MIN 1.06% $45.84 mineral resources limited

I think some people here are making this out to be way more...

1. 688 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 251

I think some people here are making this out to be way more complicated and mysterious than it actually is.

Late last year, Albemarle had a bit of a rush of blood and signed a contract to buy half of Wodgina from MIN for US$1.15b.As part of the deal, Alb and MIN also committed to jointly spend more than a billion dollars to build a hydroxide plant at Wodgina.

Meanwhile, while waiting for the various approvals to be given, the lithium market and its prospects have softened. So Alb started to get cold feet, and both MIN and Alb recognise that spending all that money on a hydroxide plant at Wodgina is not such a good idea right now. However, MIN have the better end of the Wodgina deal, from which MIN stands to receive a fat wad of lovely cash.So, Alb say to MIN, what would it take to convince you to agree to this rearrangement of the deal, which will still be mutually beneficial us both and that will be more suited to the current state of the lithium market.So, MIN say, we will agree to the revised deal if you agree to a, heads we win, tails you lose, $100m break fee.

Under the revised deal, MIN are relieved of the obligation to immediately spend a fair bit of their wad of cash on the Wodgina hydroxide plant. MIN also get their foot in the door of hydroxide processing even earlier, via the 40% share of the Kenberton plant that they are granted under the revised deal. While they are waiting for the approvals for the revised deal, the break fee increases MIN’s optionality if the Lithium market goes a lot further down the gurgler. Realistically, just like a lottery ticket, the expected value of the beak fee is probably quite low because it is unlikely to be exercised.
    Job done.

Also, I am sure MIN will not care whose lithium ore goes through the Kemberton plant. MIN will get their share of the processing profit, no matter whose ore it is.If the Wodgina joint venture gets a better price sending their ore to Kemberton, it will go there, otherwise it will go somewhere else.
    As the sailor said, he doesn’t care where it goes, just so long as it disappears !!!
    Satisfaction all round.

Cheers

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MIN (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$45.84
Change
-0.490(1.06%)
Mkt cap ! $9.007B
Open High Low Value Volume
$46.25 $46.26 $44.28 $49.14M 1.069M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
9 501 $45.83

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$45.85 167 7
View Market Depth
Last trade - 12.48pm 15/08/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
MIN (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.