MIN 0.05% $57.62 mineral resources limited

"And why do you think ALB wouldn't take up their $100M break fee...

1. 686 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 251

"And why do you think ALB wouldn't take up their $100M break fee given the high price they have paid for Wodgina?"

Maybe ALB will walk away, however, I am assuming that ALB were not under the influence of mind altering substance when they signed up to buy half of Wodgina at the end of last year.
    Presumably ALB saw considerable value in the arrangement at that time.
    I am skeptical that the roughly 25% fall in the price of lithium since then, would extinguish all the previously perceived value and justify ALB inviting a $100m hit to get out of the revised deal.

My guess is that the break fee was extracted from ALB rather than offered by them.
    MIN had a contract to sell half of Wodgina to ALB, and to form a 50:50 joint venture.
    ALB have come out and said that they are under some pressure to become cash positive.
    So in order to reduce the amount ALB will have to outlay, presumably ALB asked MIN to settle for a more complex arrangement, and furthermore, it is a deal in which MIN will only be the junior partner. Why wouldn't MIN want a sweetner, if the buyer wants to change the contract to suit their circumstances after it was signed.

Also the deal provides MIN with, heads we win, tails you lose, provisions with respect to the cost of construction of the Kemberton hydroxide plant.
    It all points to MIN having negotiated the revised deal with the benefit of a traction grip on ALB's "hearts and minds", rather than the other way around.

Cheers
    Last edited by Downanout: 09/08/19

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MIN (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$57.62
Change
-0.030(0.05%)
Mkt cap ! $11.32B
Open High Low Value Volume
$57.00 $58.00 $56.87 $59.47M 1.012M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 2605 $57.61

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$57.65 850 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 16/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
MIN (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.