MGX 0.00% 43.0¢ mount gibson iron limited

Ann: Settlement of $64.3m Business Interruption Insurance claim, page-17

1. 2,000 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 27
    This is a great outcome and at the top end of most people's guesses. It puts MGX on a very secure financial footing.

Only one note of caution (and I am loath to be negative at this time): MGX have had over +$350M in the bank for some time now (2 years?) and appear clueless what to do with it. I say appear because they may actually be hatching a plan but not semaphoring it. Their SP has not reflected their cash backing because of this, so the market still sees considerable risk.

In one sense, keeping their powder dry is understandable: calling the bottom of the mineral resources recession is difficult. However, there are now clear signs that the industry is on an upward trajectory, so if MGX doesn't do something soon they'll see value slipping away.

You would also think that the call for reinstating divvies should be growing louder and louder. Their last div was 4c (2014). At circa 1,100M shares on issue this equates to only a $44M cost, ie, less than 9% of their cash holding. That would be sustainable for a few years.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MGX (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.