BEO 6.67% 3.2¢ beonic ltd

I understand what you have done but I am not sure it is entirely...

1. 1,158 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 593
    I understand what you have done but I am not sure it is entirely valid as a method of assessing value. The problem is that the stay in business expenses that you have assessed statically are contingent on maintaining margins and further revenue growth- operating leverage cuts both ways.

The problem with growth investing today is how you identify sufficient quality businesses and buy at an adequate margin of safety. In my experience the only facts that ring true are:
    1) past performance is the best predictor of future performance even though it isn’t great itself
    2) the best companies generally need less external capital to grow despite very real growth costs
    3) high performing companies at the early adopter phase tend to improve gross margins over time and exhibit operating leverage early
    4) incentive alignement is critical

The paradox of static valuations is that in high growth companies merely passage of a small amount of time adds substantial value- the hard part is distinguishing the wheat from the chaff and buying cheap enough that if you have it wrong you don’t lose too much. Rather than focusing on specific stock I tend to focus on the revenue, the gross margin, the statistical base rates of net margins in the industry, work out the price to sales margin that gives a sufficient margin of safety and then do absolutely everything I can to ensure that the market opportunity is as large as I estimate and that the growth story is intact.

Anyway, by my reckoning this is only slightly cheap (I would prefer and have historically bought with a larger margin of safety). Let’s hope I am right. I think the competitive landscape is not quite as benign as initially thought so it is actually the pace of innovation that will determine the winners in this industry, which is hard to gauge from the outside.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BEO (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.