DRO 14.8% $1.19 droneshield limited

yeah i'm sympathetic to this take. one of the things that...

1. 119 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 15
    yeah i'm sympathetic to this take. one of the things that initially attracted me to DRO was the fact that "AI" hadn't just been tacked on to their marketing copy as a buzzword following the release of chatGPT (Nov 2022) and all the hype. They had been referencing it as far back as 2020 iirc.

[ramblings - by all means skip ahead to main point below...]
    i previously lived in the UK and worked for a company that was involved in airport security / threat mitigation. the 2018 Gatwick drone incident always struck me as kinda wild.. to this day, noone knows if it was just some kids playing around, or environmentalists / activists or foreign (Russian) actors behind it. but either way, a couple of cheap hobby drones caused the closure a major international airport for two days – disrupting hundreds of flghts and resulting in several hundred million £s in economic losses. the asymmetry seemed crazy. and I thought if there was a listed company / startup involved in the counter-UAS space, it'd be worth a good look.

anyway, i moved back to Australia judt right before Russia invaded Ukraine in Feb 2022. I came across DRO then and was kinda shocked to learn that it was actually producing / selling finished products - it wasn't conceptual.. so I bought some shares.. then 18 months later, the Middle East starts heating up, part of which has involved major disruptions to Red Sea shipping due to drones (also, shia militia successfully striking a US base in Jordan from Iraq with a drone, killing 2, was also a big deal imo).

so the fundamentals of the company looked solid - they were actually making and selling things, and weren't highly leveraged or diluted - and the market in which they had positioned themselves seemed to be getting more lucrative by the day, amid continued geopolitical turmoil and the increasing prominence of unmanned systems in modern warfare. and then there are the numerous civil applications, like airports (and political rallies...)

[actual point]
    I don't have a problem with them raising capital for R&D and to support growth (notwithstanding some misgivings about the way in which they have gone about it..), but the vagueness of it I do find a bit off-putting.. And where they are kinda specific about what their plans / spending will entail, i'm not sure.. namely:

"""
    Extending DroneShield’s R&D into new products and new generations of existing products is expected to...enable DroneShield to...expand gross profit margins as its revenue mix shifts toward AI enabled software solutions and accelerate SaaS revenues.
    """

When I read that, I hear them saying they are going to try to transition to becoming a tech company. If they pull it off, basically becoming an AI-centric SaaS company offering counter-drone systems/solutions (with some actual kit/hardware on the side), than we're off to the races.. but it seems kinda risky / capital intensive.. I guess we'll see

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add DRO (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$1.19
Change
-0.205(14.8%)
Mkt cap ! $903.6M
Open High Low Value Volume
$1.15 $1.24 $1.12 $53.70M 45.46M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
4 137264 $1.19

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$1.19 216718 5
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 01/08/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
DRO (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.