TGR 0.00% $5.22 tassal group limited

According to the Grant Thornton valuation commissioned by Huon...

1. 724 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1087
    According to the Grant Thornton valuation commissioned by Huon to justify the JBS acquisition price, there was a 40% premium provided to Huon for having a higher concentration in share ownership. Essentially, the Bender family owned I think >50% of Huon and were able to push through a sale price. The other argument is that Huon had a pure salmon play (no De Costi or prawns), and it was in terrible strife so if one could turn it around and generate normal profits it may seem cheap?

I don't buy that personally though. First, lots of M&A happens with minority shareholding companies.. so why a 40% premium for the Benders who clearly they would want kicked out of the business anyway? Secondly, prawns are a higher ROIC growth machine and surely that should lead to a price premium not a discount. Third, the turnaround required for Huon is reversing a series of bad decisions which takes time and is costly - if you normalise the acquisition price on pre-Covid EBITDA or look at it on a per tonne of production it still remained 40% discounted.

Tassal's share price feels like it's in a weird position where it had 13% shorts who got out with no losses despite their investment thesis being proven incorrect; where consensus has been so high that they smash it out of the ball park and the share price barely moves; and where it continues to trade at a "1 std dev discount" according to Citi or ~20% according to Goldman Sachs. The market is valuing Tassal's as a cheap company for a range of factors. To be honest I thought the closing of the gap of cash flow to EBITDA would be the driver in re-rating, but perhaps it will only be re-rated if it can demonstrate increasing returns on capital of prawns vs salmon.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TGR (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.