WDS 0.10% $29.26 woodside energy group ltd

Ann: Trading Halt, page-27

1. 6,294 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2496
    I don't think it's anything to worry about. The buy-back will almost certainly be approved IMO, so in the next few months WPL is suddenly going to find itself with about 10% fewer shares on the register. Earnings, dividends and yield will all go up 10%, and WPL has confirmed they will continue paying out 80% of underlying earnings, which will be substantial, with Pluto chugging along and this Iraq stuff going on which has given a (small) boost to the oil price. WPL's LNG contracts are still oil-linked so I think earnings may surprise slightly to the upside anyway, even before the buy-back takes effect.

In addition, the overhang is now gone, and regardless of whether you think this makes WPL a takeover target, it certainly doesn't make them LESS of a target - it is either positive or has no effect.

So I think in the next few weeks to months, we'll see the SP trend up to make back that 5% and then up at least another 5%, possibly 10%. Trailing yield is now 6.6% as of yesterday's close (including one special div), which after the buy-back will be 7.2% fully franked - absolutely insane yield for a blue chip oiler.

Even without the special div it's 5.6% post buy-back. With 80% payout ratio going forward I don't really see WPL staying at these levels going forward.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WDS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$29.26
Change
0.030(0.10%)
Mkt cap ! $55.55B
Open High Low Value Volume
$29.25 $29.37 $29.14 $82.84M 2.833M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
5 30080 $29.25

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$29.27 1356 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 05/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
WDS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.