BIG 0.00% $2.22 big un limited

As a sidenote, I ran some calculations on the claims in the last...

1. 8,054 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 924
    As a sidenote, I ran some calculations on the claims in the last paragraph regarding bank balance and interest:

"The firm reported $22.6 million of cash receipts in the last three months of the year, a 460 per cent increase on the previous quarter. The impressive sales have boosted its cash balance from $2.6 million at 31 December 2016 to over $31.4 million a year later. However Big's filings show it has only collected $10,500 of interest income over that period, with most of that income earned in the quarters preceding full and half year results. By comparison, a bank account with a balance of $10 million that is earning the Reserve Bank overnight cash rate of 1.5 per cent will receive $10,500 of interest in less than four weeks."

I linearly interpolated the bank balance of BIG to obtain an estimate of balance at the end of each month.
    I also had a look at interest rate for say Commonwealth business accounts. The rate was in fact as low as 0.15 p.a%.

At that rate, my calculations suggest BIG should have earned about $15,000 interest over the entire year, which is pretty close to the reported $10,500.

In my view, the last paragraph is clearly another example of Shapy throwing some mud, without actually crunching the numbers. I don't trust this guy. First the 2013 report, and then clearly misleading information on interest to cast doubt over the bank balance.

PS. I don't own a business, so an input on the interest rate from those who actually run a business would be great.
    Last edited by ProfessorBen: 19/02/18

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BIG (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.