OGC 0.00% $2.20 oceanagold corporation

http://manilastandard.net/mobile/article/298776?fbclid=IwAR2dzVnn...

1. 8,243 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 897
    http://manilastandard.net/mobile/ar...KNIGxLxHrGwmhpEafK8eghSh_w-iKDMU0yslMKQg2HvzA

Didipio miner bares new dev’t contributions

posted July 02, 2019 at 10:00 pm
    by Ben Moses Ebreo

Kasibu, Nueva Vizcaya—OceanaGold Philippines Inc. recently revealed their updated contributions to the country’s economy and development as they continue their operations in barangay Didipio in this town.

David Way, general manager of the Didipio gold-copper mine, said a large proportion of the revenue they generate in the country is invested right away in their covered communities.

He said these investments cover employment, taxes, social development, agriculture, environment and other support and assistance to the beneficiary barangays.

On employment, OGPI manages 1,500 staff and contractors, spent P2.5 billion for employee wages alone since 2013, and provided 3,000 additional livelihood opportunities through partnerships with cooperatives and social development organizations.

The company also invested P6.8 million on employees’ welfare, community and pre-employment trainings, forged partnerships with the Nueva Vizcaya State University, Quirino State University, Isabela State University, Saint Mary’s University, Ifugao State University, and University of the Philippines to provide 246 scholarships in the province and neighboring province of Quirino.

It also provided 291 On the Job Training placements at the Didipio mine, trained and employed an additional 104 villagers from Didipio and nearby communities on modern underground mining operation, which will continue to grow as the operation matures, and spent around P104 million in underground mine training since 2016.

Since 2013, Way said OceanaGold has paid P568 million in local taxes, paid P210.6 million in Real Property Taxes, and paid its increased excise tax since 2018.

The company also invested P1.2 billion in social projects since 2013, spending P595 million for local social development management program projects, and P615 million for other local corporate social responsibility projects.

“We also established the community-owned corporation DiCorp, which has generated P1.5 billion gross revenue for the local community from long term contracts with the Didipio Mine Project and is now providing external services to our operation,” Way added.

On agriculture, OGPI also provides funds to 13 cooperatives, micro and small enterprises including partnerships with the Department of Agriculture to support coffee farmers of Kasibu, engaged 34 local farmers to promote organic farming and another 92 local farmers in improving their market opportunities for coffee production.

The company’s contribution to the environment also includes the progressive rehabilitation of the 94.62 percent of the excluded mining site, planted over 1.6 million and reforested more than 1,258 hectares which resulted to the attainment of 92 percent reforestation survival rate.

That is above the national standard of 80 percent, Way noted.

OceanaGold also developed vital community infrastructure projects including the Didipio Water System Project with water storage, treatment and supply facilities that will ensure potable water supply to households and other stakeholders within the Didipio community.

“On completion, the system will have the capacity to provide water up to 11,000 individuals or about 2,400 households,” Way added.

OGPI also supported its covered communities through disaster risk reduction programs in partnership with the DENR-Mines and Geosciences Bureau and joins other international and local bodies in the sustainable management and rehabilitation of the Addalam watershed, among others.

“These direct benefits to our local communities are just part of the P39.5 billion in total contribution of that the Didipio Mine Project gives to the country’s economy,” Way said.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add OGC (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.