ANNOUNCEMENT SPONSORED BY PLUS500
CFD TRADING PLATFORM
CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
ANNOUNCEMENT SPONSORED BY PLUS500
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
  1. 1,496 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1358

Having read through today's Investor Presentation, it would appear that the purpose of the capital raise is to finance the acquisition of the remaining 34.62% interest in the M5 West concession.

At a purchase price of 468mA$, and factoring in a) 47mA$ in transaction costs, and b) incremental proportional debt of 200mA$ for the asset (see slide 57), the M5 West is being valued at 715mA$/34.62% = 2,065mA$ (on a 100% basis).

As shown on slide 46, FY19 underlying EBITDA for the M5 West was 164mA$ for a 65.38% share, i.e. 251mA$ on a 100% basis.

Also, as mentioned on slide 17, the M5 West concession expires on 10 December 2026; after that, the asset will be handed over to the Westconnex (where TCL have already paid for their 25.5% interest).

Therefore, TCL are effectively acquiring the minority interests in the M5 West at an EV/EBITDA of 2065mA$/251mA$ = 8.2x, for an underlying concession that has a residual life of only 7.5 years.

At the current traffic growth rate of +2.4% pa, and CPI growth rate of +1.6% pa, that gives me an IRR (on EV) of just 2.2% pa.

So, while there may well be “operational synergies to be realised” as well as some possible tax savings (as stated on slide 17), at a first glance this looks to me like a very high price to pay for this acquisition, and not accretive at all in terms of asset IRR vis-a-vis Group IRR.

The optical “accretion” (as claimed by Management) by 3c/share in FY20 FCF is merely due to the short life of the underlying concession, but that will be offset by a dilution in FCF/share from 2027 onwards.

Overall, this is yet another acquisition by TCL (after the A25 and the Westconnex) whose economics I find underwhelming, as well as poorly justified to the investor community.

IMHO & DYOR

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TCL (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.