ANNOUNCEMENT SPONSORED BY PLUS500
CFD TRADING PLATFORM
CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
ANNOUNCEMENT SPONSORED BY PLUS500
CFD TRADING PLATFORM CFD Service. Your Capital is at risk
  1. 16,933 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 8393
    Yes, whether $1m, $2m or even $3m is is rather academic, given this point in the cycle (and also given the seasonality inherent in EZL's earnings, with significant second-half skew).

For context, today's update is shown with previous half-years (to avoid tax-related distortions, I've presented Pre-Tax figures, ignoring all non-operating items such as changes in investments), which reveals the sheet extent of the cyclical crunch that has befallen EZL:

EZL PBT.JPG

(For what it's worth, I've included a figure for JH2024, but its really a notional forecast, given very little robust thinking has gone into its formulation).

Even on the basis of a seriously under-earning business experiencing the mother of all downturns in its business, I still make the stock valued on an EV/EBITDA of 5x and EV/EBIT of just 6.7x (treating the interest income as an operating item which, given the nature of this business, I argue it is).

In my mind, those sorts of multiples are more appropriate for extreme peak cycle levels, not once-in-a-generation, bombed-out, cyclical low business conditions.

Of course, this time things could be different, and the ECM cycle could be dead.

But I somehow doubt it.

In the light of this update, I suspect there is likely to be some sticker shock selling tomorrow, and so I expect to be adding to my position.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add EZL (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.