BRG 0.44% $27.63 breville group limited

Thanks andy777It took a mere 25 yrs of direct share ownership to...

1. 476 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 79
    Thanks andy777
    It took a mere 25 yrs of direct share ownership to get to a point where I own a portfolio of solid ASX listed shares.
    I've pretty much learnt through error.
    The point of my response - don't feel bad about your recent decision to sell ANN. Just make sure you assess and learn something from the decision.
    My decision to buy my shares in 4 ASX listed companies 25 yrs ago was based on the tired old adage that you should buy a diversified portfolio of Blue Chip shares. I bought Pacific Dunlop (after downward trend, broken up and sold off), Boral (struggled to work as a diversified building company), National Aust Bank (the worst of the big 4 who bought into the overseas dream and has struggled ever since) and WOW (which I bought early, quickly doubled my money and sold at about $6 thinking I was a genius - to miss the majority of the profits going forward). Since then; - I initially got my advise and from a Broker (hopefully you are old enough to remember that system which treated small clients like - well, small clients). I read newspapers and magazines and even took tips from 'friends' and cab drivers. I was involved in the tech bubble (fortunately made and lost about the same amount of money). Owned a stock that went broke and was delisted. Tried to pick the market moves and even owned a few penny mining stocks.
    I bought Transurban shares at the float when they were paying something like 8%. Sold briefly after having doubled my money - brilliant!! (Not).
    I was fortunate to buy CSL in 2004. I bought it when it had a wobble and the share price was under pressure, based on 'a good company having a hiccup'. But even that hasn't been smooth sailing. I remember begrudgingly being involved in a SPP to fund the proposed acquisition of Talecris Biotherapeutics. Then after the 3:1 split I sold 1/3 of my shares to 'balance my portfolio'. Once again I felt my investment decision was verging on brilliant.....
    I could go on with this sort of story but it's starting to even hurt me.

Importantly - what do I think I've learnt?
    IMHO - Blue Chip is a meaningless title that should never be uttered.
    Buy shares in companies with a track record of performing well who have quality management. Don't try and pick the next winner as you'll get it wrong too often. They don't have to be in the top 50. They just need to be high quality. Eg) I've been in DTL (Data 3) for years because management has been very good for years. And they certainly weren't anywhere near the top 50 back then. BRG is a similar story.
    Balancing a portfolio isn't necessarily a great idea. Your best performing share are very likely to be your best shares.
    If you are thinking of / or need to sell some shares - consider selling the under performers. NOT the ones that have proven good investments. If you want to 'balance' - consider selling the under performers and putting that cash to work as more shares in your better performing companies.
    Read financial publications for fun - not for guidance.
    Don't get dragged into the next trendy thing fearing you'll miss out. Fight all of your fomo instincts. Don't be in a hurry to get rich.
    Really good quality companies are generally always 'expensive'.
    Buy and hold is not a bad plan.
    Once you are holding a portfolio of well managed companies with a history of performance it might get fairly boring. That's a sign you might be investing wisely.

The above ramblings are far from guidance. They are just my thoughts after 25 yrs of direct share ownership. I believe after 25 yrs I know about 7% of what I should know about investing. I like the shares I own to be covered by the following statement (that I recently posted about RMD - Resmed). Ask me where the share price will be in a week or a month - I'll guess. Ask me where it will be in 1 yr - I'll be relatively confident it'll be higher. Ask me where it'll be in 5 yrs and I'll be very confident it'll be higher.
    Everyone makes mistakes whilst investing - it's only really a mistake if you don't learn something from it.

What about BRG?? Ask me where the share price will be in a week or a month - I'll guess. Ask me where it will be in 1 yr - I'll be relatively confident it'll be higher. Ask me where it'll be in 5 yrs and I'm very confident it'll be higher. What a great Australian success story. Their expansion overseas has been really well managed, which is very rare.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BRG (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$27.63
Change
0.120(0.44%)
Mkt cap ! $3.962B
Open High Low Value Volume
$27.70 $27.91 $27.51 $4.940M 178.3K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 600 $26.89

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$27.79 388 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 26/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
BRG (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.