RFX 0.00% 9.7¢ redflow limited

It's very unlikely that there will be a class...

1. sjl
    1,225 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 345
    It's very unlikely that there will be a class action.

Shareholders are not creditors to the business - they are people who have invested money to build the business. Doing so carries an inherent risk, but in return for that risk, there's the potential for significantly higher returns.

First in line if the company is wound up or sold are secured creditors, including employees. Second in line are unsecured creditors, which would include people and businesses that have paid deposits on goods not yet delivered. Only if both of these groups are paid in full will shareholders have any hope of seeing any money.

There's also the possibility that the purchaser agrees to take on the business's liabilities, in which case the sale proceeds would go to shareholders. I would consider this to be unlikely to eventuate; the potential liabilities of the business going forward are just too high for a prospective purchaser to take on that risk. Much more likely is a sale of the business assets (intellectual property, manufacturing facilities, technical expertise with specific employees, etc.), and those funds going to pay down creditors, most likely at a fraction of book value (and again: if creditors are not paid in full, shareholders will not see any funds; a class action won't be able to recover any funds that simply aren't there. You could perhaps go after the directors, but you'd have to have a very strong case to have much chance of success, and I don't think that likely.)

Relisting? It's possible, but I wouldn't hold your breath. I'd consider a sale of assets and winding up of the remaining business to be the most likely result at this stage.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add RFX (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.