TCL 0.08% $12.39 transurban group

Ann: Transurban Investor Presentation, page-13

1. 1,490 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1355
    @madamswer

I’m pleased to see that we’re now on the same page regarding the FCF Yield.

With respect to the bond benchmark, I’m certainly prepared to believe that only a minority of equity market practitioners follow the inflation-linked bond market; so you’re probably right in that, being the 10-year nominal yield the most popular benchmark, it is also the one the majority watch to form a view on TCL’s value.

I hope you will acknowledge that looking at the yield of the long-end indexed bond makes a lot more sense conceptually, though, given that the notional of that bond is periodically reset according to CPI, just like TCL’s revenues (at constant traffic volume) are.

I guess either approach might work just fine, for the purpose of relative value analysis, as long as inflation expectations remain anchored; long-term Australian break-even inflation has been oscillating within the 2.35%-2.60% range for the past two years, so it hasn’t really made a dramatic difference whether one was looking at the nominal bond or at the linker over this time period.

The difference will only become manifest if and when nominal and real yields will start moving in opposite directions. In this regard I have noticed that, as this current rise in yields has been fuelled by an inflation narrative, there has also been increasing talk in the mainstream media about inflation-linked bonds. For instance PIMCO, in their December 2017 Outlook, argued that TIPS looked attractively priced relative to Treasury Bonds; so, the idea of decoupling in nominal vs real yields is slowly starting to get out there.

When it comes to finding a price level at which TCL’s valuation starts getting “stretched”, I personally find it easier to look at the spread over the risk-free real yield. But, as long as one has an inflation expectation in mind, looking at the nominal yield isn’t substantially different. I guess some might do that subtraction in their mind without even realising.

Cheers

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TCL (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$12.39
Change
-0.010(0.08%)
Mkt cap ! $38.31B
Open High Low Value Volume
$12.33 $12.45 $12.31 $40.62M 3.278M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
3 15549 $12.39

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$12.40 16304 3
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 01/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
TCL (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.