By
    Micky News
    -
    February 5, 2019

Facebook

Twitter

Pinterest

Linkedin

ASX-listed company, First Growth Funds, has hired early stage Twitter investor, Jeff Pulver, to help it build a crypto bank.

Mr. Pulver will join the board of First Growth Advisory Pty Ltd, which is working towards building a fully regulated boutique investment bank, focused on advising wholesale and institutional investors in the crypto and digital assets markets.
    Anoosh Manzoori, Executive Chairman of First Growth Funds (ASX:FGF), announced the high-profile coup in an ASX market release.
    “We have a clear first mover advantage and want to position ourselves as a market leader in the institutional and regulated crypto and digital asset market,” said Mr. Manzoori.
    “As this industry goes mainstream, particularly for institutional investors, we want to be their first choice for investments, advisory and trading.
    Internet pioneer turned crypto bull

Jeff Pulver is most famous for pioneering voice-over-internet-protocol (VOIP) during the early stages of the internet.
    In 1998 he raised US$12m to create ‘Vonage‘, one of the first ever VOIP companies.

Early stage Twitter investor and VOIP pioneer, Jeff Pulver, has joined Australian crypto company, First Growth Funds.
    Follow Micky on Twitter.
    Follow Micky on Facebook.

The New York-based tech entrepreneur saw the potential of Twitter when few were using the platform.
    Not only did he invest in Twitter Inc, but he also organised a global Twitter conference, known as the 140 Character Conference.
    His involvement with First Growth Funds follows multiple other significant cryptocurrency roles.
    Mr. Pulver established the Blockchain Token Association, was previously Vice Chairman of a large New York blockchain advisory and investment firm and was an advisor to security token trading platform tZERO that raised US$134m.
    Also joining Mr. Pulver on the First Growth Funds Advisory board is fellow New Yorker, James Haft.
    FGF says previously Mr. Haft was the MD of Latin American Equity Capital Markets at INGBarings, Founder and MD of Emerging Markets Investment Banking at Furman Selz, and MD of Asian Investment Banking in Hong Kong for Bear Stearns.
    No time-frame has been set for the creation of the crypto bank.
    Twitter, Bitcoin, and social media’s blockchain future
    Jeff Pulver is by no means the only Bitcoin bull to emerge from Twitter Inc.
    On Saturday (2/1/19) Twitter CEO and Co-Founder, Jack Dorsey, was interviewed by Joe Rogan on The Joe Rogan Experience podcast.

Speaking about Bitcoin, Mr. Dorsey, said he believes it will “probably” become the native currency of the internet.

Twitter CEO and Co-Founder, Jack Dorsey.
    “I believe the internet will have a native currency, it will have a native currency and I don’t know if it’s Bitcoin, I think it will be because just given all the tests it has been through and the principals behind it, how it was created,” he said.
    “It’s (Bitcoin) something that was born on the internet, developed on the internet, was tested on the internet, it is of the internet.”
    Mr. Dorsey is also the CEO of Square, a New York-based company that has developed the ‘Cash App‘, which has supported Bitcoin since 2014.
    In 2018 the app added functionality that enabled users to buy Bitcoin and send Bitcoin to friends.

Screen capture of the ‘Cash App’ developed by Square.
    “The reason we enabled the purchasing of Bitcoin within the Cash App is, one, we want to learn about the technology and we wanted to put ourselves out there and take some risks,” Dorsey told Josh Rogan.
    “We are the first publicly traded company to actually offer it as a service, we are the first publicly traded company to talk to the SEC about Bitcoin.

“The second thing is that we would love to see something become a global currency, it enables more access, it allows us to serve more people, it allows us to move much faster around the world.
    “We thought we were going to start with how we can use it transactionally but we noticed people were using it more like an asset, like a virtual gold and we wanted to just make that easy… Just the simplest way to buy and sell Bitcoin.
    “But we also knew that it had to come with a lot of education, that it had to come with constraint, because two years ago people did some really unhealthy things about purchasing Bitcoin – they maxed out their credit cards and put all their life savings into Bitcoin.
    “So we developed some very simple restrictions and constraints, like you can’t buy Bitcoin on the Cash App with a credit card… And we look for day trading which we discourage and shut down.”
    The Twitter CEO says he sees money as one of the last remaining undisrupted sectors.
    “What is money and why are we agreeing that it’s these pieces of paper?” asked podcast host Joe Rogan.
    “That to me was one of the last, big centralised, nationalised instruments… currency, money,” replied Dorsey.
    “When you think about the internet as a country, as a market, as a nation, it’s going to have its own currency, but what’s interesting with the internet as a nation, it’s the whole world… So the world gets one currency… And that to me is just so freeing and so exciting.”
    Blockchain will change social media

Jack Dorsey says he believes blockchain will ultimately improve social media platforms and help hold users and content creators to account.
    “We’re going to a world, especially with technology like blockchain, that all the content that exists, that is ever created, will exist forever,” he said on the podcast.
    “You won’t be able to take it down, you won’t be able to censor it, it won’t be centralised at all.
    “If you look at the arc of technology, it’s a given that anytime something is created, its going to exist forever, this is what blockchain helps enable down the line and we need to make sure that we’re paying attention to that.
    “I think that it is threatening, its certainly threatening to certain services behind banks and financial institutions, it’s threatening to some governments, so I just look at this and like how do we embrace this technology, not react to it? What does it enable us to do?”

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add FGF (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.