OOO 2.81% $19.36 betashares crude oil index etf-currency hedged (synthetic)

@dutybound. Your assessment as written is flawed. The largest...

1. 130 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 83
    @dutybound. Your assessment as written is flawed. The largest being that OOO has recently flatlined. It clearly has not, rising from the $2.50 range to the $3.80 range. An over 50% gain in the last two months, and in line with 3 month WTI fluctuations over the period. OOO was a poor investment historically, driven primarily by the consistently decreasing oil price. All commodity futures contracts have contango/backwardation dynamics to understand. The current structure of this ETF lowers the risks of direct oil investment two ways. One, it ‘rolls’ unemotionally every month on a set timeline to a 3 month out contract. And two; it is currency hedged.

At around $25 a barrel back in April I believed oil would rise given Covid-19 reopening pressure in the USA, Asia and Europe. I was looking for a ‘lower risk’ oil investment vehicle. When OOO changed to the 3 month contract further losses for then current holders ensued. But for me, that presented a lower risk investment opportunity to gain exposure to Oil price increases. So I bought in at $2.86 and continue to hold as I believe WTI will rise above $40 in coming weeks. When it does I will be looking to trade out (though it would not surprise me if WTI went above $50 in the medium term given production decreases currently being extended). At which point my investment will have seen an approximate 50% return (currently ~35% gain) over a 6 - 8 week hold.

I agree that OOO has been a horrible investment for many. I would not suggest being a long term holder of OOO. However, it is currently the lowest risk Australian investment vehicle to gain exposure to a rising oil price.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add OOO (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.