TLG 0.60% 41.8¢ talga group ltd

Ann: Vittangi environmental permit hearing commenced, page-19

1. 2,061 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1110

"Talga's mining plans are decided in court

PUBLISHED AT 2:05 P.M

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/5018/5018005-05876ce0cf276a115254bced83905c25.jpg

In recent years, Talga has been test drilling for graphite in the Nunasvaara area outside Vittangi.

LULEÅ. Yesterday, negotiations started in the Land and Environmental Court regarding the company Talga Resources' application for graphite mining outside Vittangi.
    The graphite deposit is considered the best in Sweden. But criticism is directed from the reindeer husbandry, residents and the Nature Conservation Association.

A few miles outsidethe village of Vittangi in Kiruna Municipality , Talga Resources wants to start a graphite mine . According to the mining company, it is one of the world's highest grade graphite deposits. Graphite is considered an important component when the world is to switch to renewable energy.
    In the area where Talga wants to start the mine, there are several national interests. Sami villages are critical of the extent of the mine as it is planned in reindeer pastures. The area is also in a Natura 2000 area.

During the proceedings in the Land and Environment Court, only graphite mining is being discussed in part of the area, Nunasvaara South. According to Talga, the remaining parts of the area where more mines may be built are further in the future.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/5018/5018008-beed4770fa87391b3cac41c17fe8102a.jpg

Per-Erik Lindvall, chairman of the board of Talga AB, and Martin Phillips, European manager of Talga, are optimistic about the graphite deposit in Vittangi. Photo: Erik Simander
    During the first day of negotiations at a hotel in central Luleå, Per-Erik Lindvall, chairman of the board for Talga, participated among others. He is not surprised that criticism of the mine has flared up.

- These are legitimate questions, it cannot be avoided that a mining start will affect the environment. It will affect the air in terms of noise and the water issues. We need to handle and have answers to all questions.

Facts. Graphite important component in batteries

The EU lists graphite as one of the 27 materials necessary for the transition. The EU also wants to break the dependence on China, which today is the world leader in graphite mining.

If Talga opens a mine in Vittangi, the concentrated graphite from the mining area will be shipped to Luleå. There, they want to make anodes, which are an important component in electric car batteries.
    Martin Phillips is European manager for Talga. He is optimistic.

- I see that there are ways for us to exist together with other industries in the area. Graphite is a very important mineral for reducing emissions and this is an important project for Europe.

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/5018/5018009-79a4c222029d8452b0838a3165ed8adf.jpg

B. L., vice chairman of the nature conservation association in Norrbotten, was present during the first day of negotiations.

B. L. , vice chairman of the Nature Conservation Association in Norrbotten, was present during the first day of negotiations. The association is critical of the mining case being taken up in court because the hearing only concerns the area that goes by the name Nunasvaara södra and not the entire deposit.

- It is not possible to assess environmental consequences based on this application alone, we believe that all four mines should be assessed at one and the same time in order to obtain the combined environmental description for entire areas.

Talga points out that a graphite mine is important for the transition, how do you see that?

- We have to look at how much of the graphite is reused. We believe that all processes must start with reuse and recycling before opening a new mine.

Per-Erik Lindvall, chairman of Talga, believes that the application that Talga is making for Nunasvaara södra is being made because they have been longing for it.

- Future mining establishments are a separate trial in a separate court. It is not clear that it will be much bigger than the application we are talking about today. We hope that it can be sometime in the future, but it is not now.

The negotiations in the Land and Environmental Court continue until February 23, 2023."

https://www.dn.se/sverige/talgas-gruvplaner-avgors-i-domstol/

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TLG (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
41.8¢
Change
0.003(0.60%)
Mkt cap ! $164.0M
Open High Low Value Volume
40.5¢ 41.8¢ 40.3¢ $72.39K 177.6K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
7 94957 41.5¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
42.0¢ 42731 6
View Market Depth
Last trade - 11.43am 12/08/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
TLG (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.