LYL 0.82% $12.15 lycopodium limited

Good post @madamswer.I must say, my thinking and approach has...

1. 4,273 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 463
    Good post @madamswer.

I must say, my thinking and approach has been evolving over the years. I've decided I'm really not smart enough to know where we stand in the cycle. That is, to know what is coming (revenues), how well we are placed to profit from them (costs), and in what sequence it will all arrive.

I'm now much more inclined to pay attention to market sentiment, and to just assume that when sentiment is fairly "neutral" that there will be sufficient diversity of opinion to render a stock fairly valued.

Back in 2016, sentiment was definitely not neutral.

Is it neutral now? I'm not sure, but I'm inclined to believe that we have not reached the point where everyone is dying to get in & forgetting about cycles. In 2016 the market definitely did forget about cycles - in the other direction.

Don't get me wrong, valuation matters to me. I still want a sense that I'm getting a decent return for my buck. I just place much less faith in my valuation when sentiment seems neutral.

For instance, I bought into some (large and/or well established) global auto suppliers (overseas based) in early 2020 when auto sales were in a cyclic down trend & fear about electrification upending the industry was starting to grip the market. I bought some more when the industry's woes were compounded by a litany of further, & compounding, problems (supply shocks, semiconductor shortage, energy shocks, were disruptions etc etc).

Do I understand the industry better than most? No. Do I have a right to place a heavy weight on my valuations? No.

Do I have a right to believe that market sentiment was overly pessimistic & focused on short term problems? Do i have a right to believe that the auto cycle was not dead?

On these latter two questions, I suspect the answer is yes.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LYL (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$12.15
Change
-0.100(0.82%)
Mkt cap ! $482.8M
Open High Low Value Volume
$12.22 $12.25 $11.99 $1.242M 102.5K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
3 1071 $12.15

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$12.19 1184 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 23/08/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
LYL (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.