WAS 0.00% 0.4¢ wasabi energy limited

It seems to me that the prime reason for Wasabi to buy the...

1. 1,225 Posts.

It seems to me that the prime reason for Wasabi to buy the Husavik Plant was to protect its Kalina Cycle brand. There are very few actual applications of this technology in the world and its not a good look when the first serious application closes down. If WAS wants to sell the technology it has to demonstrate its success by waving the flag very firmly.

I remember reading research papers on this plant some years ago when they were still tweaking the system. Wasabi was always in the difficult situation of owning the patented technology but having no full scale plant on which to experiment and refine any developments. It also meant they couldn't invite any prospective buyers to come and inspect a working Kalina plant. The Build, Own, Operate strategy is a way out of this dilemma. I don't know why Husavik closed down. It must have been very embarrassing for Wasabi. On the one hand it seems a little strange that with a super efficient energy extraction technology it still couldn't pay its way. Then again, many Iceland companies went (are going) to the wall during their economic collapse.

Another Iceland geothermal company in dire straits, Geysir Green Energy, has been selling off most of its large portfolio of international holdings including it's own major supplier of Iceland energy, HS Okra, now 98% owned by Canadian Magma Energy. This implies major ructions have been occurring in Iceland.

Keep in mind that the net output of Husavik plant was a rather small 1.7 MW. Even if the power generating plant is not operational there is no indication in the ann of whether the industrial and district heating flows are still doing so.

Have only just read your last post, Dis. Ammonia in water might well be very corrosive but this would (should) be taken into account when ordering the particular alloys for the turbine.

Juke

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WAS (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.