WBT 0.43% $2.31 weebit nano ltd

Ann: Weebit Investor Presentation-RAD.AX, page-2

1. 12,259 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3833
    Good presentation.

For those following recent discussions I noticed that on slide 15 tantalum is coloured in green as one of "Weebits materials".

Well for those who remember this post

http://hotcopper.com.au/threads/ann...2746548/page-41?post_id=17549118#.VyC_KnlJntQ

tantalum is not the same as tantalum (V) oxide. So tantalum could be used as an electrode material but the tantalum (V) oxide as per Tour's recent work can also be used as the critical resistive switching "sandwich" material (which still doesn't clearly seem to belong to Weebit in my estimation).

I've read the abstract of a paper published by professor Tour on Three-Dimensional Networked Nanoporous Ta2O5–x Memory System for Ultrahigh Density Storage. (see below)

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.nanolett.5b02190

Oxide-based resistive memory systems have high near-term promise for use in nonvolatile memory. Here we introduce a memory system employing a three-dimensional (3D) networked nanoporous (NP) Ta2O5–x structure and graphene for ultrahigh density storage. The devices exhibit a self-embedded highly nonlinear I–V switching behavior with an extremely low leakage current (on the order of pA) and good endurance. Calculations indicated that this memory architecture could be scaled up to a ∼162 Gbit crossbar array without the need for selectors or diodes normally used in crossbar arrays. In addition, we demonstrate that the voltage point for a minimum current is systematically controlled by the applied set voltage, thereby offering a broad range of switching characteristics. The potential switching mechanism is suggested based upon the transformation from Schottky to Ohmic-like contacts, and vice versa, depending on the movement of oxygen vacancies at the interfaces induced by the voltage polarity, and the formation of oxygen ions in the pores by the electric field.
    The bolded section is what seems important, as although we know very little about the (Intel/Micron JV) 3DXpoint memory from the very limited information that those companies have published, we know they include diodes (selectors) in the "sandwich" structure. This from Micron's description.

https://www.micron.com/about/emerging-technologies/3d-xpoint-technology

"Selector
    Memory cells are accessed and written or read by varying the amount of voltage sent to each selector. This eliminates the need for transistors, increasing capacity and reducing cost."

Tours paper above talks about a ~162Gbit crossbar array with NO NEED for selectors (diodes) and Intel/Micron are talking about " 128Gb per die across two stacked memory layers" using selectors for each bit. Now my understanding is pretty limited but selectors would add an extra layer of complexity and cost and it seems as if Tour is saying he can potentially do it without selectors subject to some limitations that need to be overcome.

Now we really need to question the company on tantalum (V) oxide to see if Weebit owns any rights to it directly or through the Sponsored Research agreement which is part of the agreement between Weebit and Rice university.

We also have to ask Weebit or Tour if silicone oxide has the same properties, ie no need for selectors (diodes) and the same extremely low leakage currents.

These are very important questions to put to the company as far as my understanding goes at present.

Also I find it interesting and curious that no direct mention is made on slide 16 about Intel/Micron's 3DXPoint memories which would seem to be the most advanced and high profile competition (unless one of the three mentioned technologies is 3DXPoint in disguise). Anyone know the answer to this?

The mystery deepens.

Whoever makes this memory is going to disrupt the world of computing and portable devices IMHO and if it is Intel/Micron that eventually has the winning technology then I'll look at buying shares in those two companies particularly if they take a hit soon on falling revenues or a falling market because they will be the big winners in the future with little doubt in my mind.

I can't believe that the market hasn't woken up to the enormous potential here.

Eshmun

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WBT (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$2.31
Change
-0.010(0.43%)
Mkt cap ! $436.3M
Open High Low Value Volume
$2.32 $2.35 $2.30 $611.1K 262.8K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
5 29735 $2.31

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$2.33 2938 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 26/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
WBT (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.