WBT 1.21% $2.51 weebit nano ltd

Yes, I think the China option is now closed. It has effectively...

1. MTV
    1,751 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 594
    Yes, I think the China option is now closed. It has effectively been on ice anyway, because of COVID, but with the recent moves by Biden (first a US$50B funding carrot, followed by an export controls stick) the investment landscape has shifted significantly. Firstly, the pastures in the US have just become a lot greener, secondly China has now become much riskier.

I've had a bit of a skip through some of the Bureau of Industry and Security rules. I couldn't find any specific mention of ReRAM technology anywhere in Biden's new export controls (not surprising as it is not yet commercially available). Nor could I find any general phrasing anywhere that unambiguously captures it. However, "it's the vibe of the thing"

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/4792/4792325-aa372230a773926e8b513570249687c9.jpg

The new rules mention "advanced memory ICs", and the existing export controls also mention technology related to Rad Hard, and technology developed with DoD funding.

So it's quite a minefield to navigate already, and I get the impression they wouldn't hesitate to add a new rule explicitly covering ReRAM, if it came on their radar. That would be very costly for WBT if they were already significantly advanced with technology transfer to a Chinese fab.

Others have mentioned the Israel-China free trade agreement which could be signed in the near future. I see that as a separate issue which won't have any bearing on this. The simple fact is that any company doing business in the US has to follow their rules.

Personally, I would rather that WBT stay out of China, just in the interests of IP security.

NB: The above post is opinion only, and should not be construed as financial advice.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WBT (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.