ZLD 0.00% 63.0¢ zelira therapeutics limited

There are several reasons I like this stock:1) Unlike most other...

1. 128 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 96
    There are several reasons I like this stock:

1) Unlike most other cannabis companies, Zelira has a pharmaceutical arm which produces patent protected, scientifically validated products that target very specific conditions. Most other companies I know of in this space produce products that are backed by flimsy 'evidence' at best, and aren't aimed at any particular condition.

2) Zelira is very careful to have nothing to do with the physical plant itself, they don't sell it in flower form or even grow it for medical purposes. I think this is a good move as they've clearly positioned themselves as being cannabis pharmaceutical company. By selling flower, I think there's a danger the business might be perceived as a quasi healthcare company, more interested in profiting from recreational use under the guise of 'medicine'. To operate in this way would erode business credibility amongst the medical fraternity IMO.

3) Zelira seems to be basing their playbook on other successful pharmaceutical businesses, with the key point of difference being the drug they're basing their products on. Johnson & Johnson, the biggest pharmaceutical company in the world by revenue, sell OTC acne treatment products along with traditional pharmaceutical drugs that a doctor might prescribe; so I believe this OTC and Rx approach is a smart one with a proven track record. I also think Zelira has looked very closely at what GW Pharma did and how their story unfolded. GW Pharma is the only cannabis company that I know of to have ever successfully had a cannabis derived drug approved by the FDA in the US. They did this by running clinical trials that focused on a very specific condition rather than trying to address everything any anything, they also had nothing to do with flower, they were strictly pharmaceutical. Granted they were offering a CBD based product, free of THC, but once federal legalisation of medical cannabis arrives in the US, and it will, the THC factor won't be an issue. Extensive clinical trials showing the product works for a specific condition and is safe will be crucial; I believe Zelira is uniquely positioned to approach the FDA for approval with Zenivol, although a larger phase 3 trial will be required first, but nobody else is even close as far as I know.

4) Big Pharma has shown an interest in acquiring cannabinoid based pharmaceutical companies with evidence backed products. GW Pharma was recently bought out by Jazz Pharmaceuticals for US $220 per share. I think Zelira's future could be similar.

5) Zelira is expanding into multiple jurisdictions globally, several of which are among the largest medicinal cannabis markets in the world. These so far include the USA, Germany, and the UK.

6) The global medicinal cannabis market is growing rapidly and its still very young. Those businesses that position themselves intelligently for long term growth on a solid foundation will do very well. I think many cannabis businesses are going for the quick buck (Little Green Pharma), and sure, they are making more money than Zelira at the moment, but at what long term cost given they're selling flower to supposedly treat a vast array of medical conditions, none proven via clinical trials? Lets face it, Little Green Pharma are really selling to the recreational market under the guise of 'medicine'. The prescriber is going to be sceptical when the same company offers non-flower product that supposedly addresses some ailment. When they compare a company like that to Zelira who have only ever offered products supported by evidence for specific conditions, I think its clear who wins clinical support in the long run. The issue at present is brand awareness, I don't think Zelira is particularly well known; Little Green Pharma has done a much better job of promoting themselves.

So in summary, I think Zelira is unique in this current market, but they're not trying to reinvent the wheel. They're taking a careful and pragmatic approach geared towards long term success, based on proven game plans from those who have gone before. Before I finish, while I was critical of cannabis flower being used as medicine, I'm not saying it can't be when smoked. I'm sure many people find it useful in that form for a variety of ailments. But when it comes to selling the stuff as medicine, it must be backed by science just like any other drug, otherwise it lacks credibility in a big way and can't really be marketed as medicine as everyone is affected differently.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ZLD (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.