AUL 0.00% 28.5¢ austar gold limited

announcement out, page-60

1. 15,547 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2300
    One of Campbell Newman's election promises if he wins the upcoming QLD election is to repeal Labor's wild rivers legislation in Cape York!

This article from the Australian 04/11/11...

"ABORIGINAL leader Noel Pearson has praised the LNP's vow to scrap controversial Wild Rivers environmental declarations on Cape York, slamming the laws as a "green foot" crushing the throats of indigenous people.

Premier Anna Bligh and the powerful green lobby warned the move would spark rampant mining and development on Cape York, as LNP leader Campbell Newman released further details of his plan, revealed by The Australian today.

Making the announcement in Cairns this morning, Mr Newman said he would repeal the four Cape York Wild Rivers declarations.

The protections enshrine a 1km buffer zone around the rivers and their tributaries, preventing mining, damming and some other development.

Critics of the Queensland Labor government's legislation claim it hinders indigenous people's right to actively use their own land for economic purposes.

There are a total of 10 Wild Rivers declarations in Queensland, with another five river systems proposed for declaration.

Mr Newman refused to say what he would do with the Wild Rivers declarations outside of Cape York, such as in the Gulf country and on Fraser Island, where there is support for the protections.

He said he would consult with Cape York stakeholders, including pastoralists and traditional owners, about a replacement protection regime called a "Bioregion Management Plan", but did not detail what the plan would involve.

"We want strong environmental protections for those iconic natural areas, the wonderful rivers of the Cape, but our plan would see all of Cape York properly managed, properly protected, for the long-term benefit of all Queenslanders," Mr Newman said.

He also refused to give the traditional owners the right to consent to the plan, but promised to consult widely.

A key criticism of the current Wild Rivers regime was that it was imposed without thorough consultation.

Mr Pearson, who attended Mr Newman's announcement, said the Wild Rivers laws were "concocted by green groups in Brisbane in return for green preferences".

"We believe that there is a way forward for conservation, development and Aboriginal land rights," Mr Pearson said

"We believe that a balanced approach to Cape York can work...I want to see whitefellas, blackfellas and greenfellas all working for a balanced future."

"At the moment what we've had under the Wilderness Society and the Labor government is the greenfellas putting their foot on our throats."

But Mr Pearson refused to formally back Mr Newman as the next Premier of Queensland,

Richie Ah Mat, chair of the Cape York Land Council, said the powerful representative group would consider actively campaigning for the LNP on Cape York before the next election.

"With Mr Newman's announcement today there will be some joy in the whole of Cape York," Mr Ah Mat said."

I tried to ring Ian Kramer at his Brisbane office ( 07 3310 8932) this afternoon shortly after the announcement was released to get further clarification as to how exactly the proposed National Park will affect the proposed coal mine at Mt Mulligan for us loyal shareholders. Left a message on his answering machine for him to return my call, hopefully on Teusday!
    I suggest other concerned shareholders also contact management and politely ask what exactly this proposed National Park will mean to mining at Mt mulligan.

All the best....

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AUL (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.