another file for the union royal commission?, page-4

1. 46,202 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3

Hairy, from what i can gather union members have the final say as to how member funds are used. They can vote how much and to who funds can be directed in terms of supporting their members in political campaigns. I have a friend who works in the public sector and he informs me that its put to a vote by the union before monies are directed towards political parties or political campaigns. I cant see it being any different in other unions.

I think you are confusing the issue of abuse of power or illegal practices by a minority of union officials. Thats a different matter.

While there is no doubt the Royal Commission is an expensive political witch hunt I am now leaning towards its occurring as long as the terms of reference permit honest unions and unionists to put their case to the commission. That would identify the truth of the actual position and it may well be that it finds only isolated cases of problems and illegal actions that can then be followed up. That would be a fairer approach rather than punishing honest unions because of the actions of a few individuals.

Nothing wrong with unions and their members directing funds to political parties while employers and business in general is allowed to do so..

The only way around that is for the taxpayer to fund campaigns and to provide an equal amount for say parties that gain a vote over a certain threshold and to taper down as the percentage vote drops. I have a feeling neither Party will go along with such an arrangement. they want to access the whole market for funds as well as get money from the taxpayer.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.