another good sort facing bali drugs charge

1. 58,089 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 16
    ABC Online;
    Australian consular officials have visited the leading Adelaide model, Michelle Leslie, who is facing drug charges in Bali.

Ms Leslie, 24, was arrested at a weekend party on suspicion of possessing drugs.

The Foreign Minister, Alexander Downer, says the tablets allegedly found in Ms Leslie's possession are being tested.

"The consul-general saw her last night to check on her welfare," he said.

"And the two alleged amphetamine tablets that she was detained with are being tested now to see whether that's what they really are or whether they're something else.

"Of course we'll have to wait and see what the police subsequently do."

Mr Downer says while nothing is yet proven, this case should still send a strong warning to all Australians.

"People should understand that if you're going anywhere in Asia you should never have drugs with you - the consequences can be quite dire," he said.

"In this particular case, in Michelle Leslie's case, if she were convicted she could serve up to 10 years' maximum in jail."

Justice Minister Chris Ellison details of the arrest are still sketchy and he is waiting for a full briefing.

"It does reinforce the situation in Indonesia and indeed in a lot of other countries in our region, that drugs are regarded very seriously," he said.

"And without pre-empting the case in this instance, it does reinforce the warning that people who travel overseas and have anything to do with drugs face serious consequences."

Ms Leslie's parents are not commenting on their daughter's situation.

A friend says Ms Leslie's parents, Albert and Violeta, are still waiting for an update from consular officials.

The friend, who declined to be named, says she is surprised by the allegations.

"I'm a family friend and I have seen Michelle grow up and everything like that," she said.

"But it's the last person I would think to be involved in things like this, because she's so careful with all her profession and a very responsible, mature girl."

Dave R.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.