Hastie is correct in the sense that the core function of any...

1. 11,984 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 151
    Hastie is correct in the sense that the core function of any defence force is the 'application of lethal violence'
    At the pointy end of the stick its a 2 way firing range, the application of lethal violence is coming back at them as well
    It does take a special mindset for people to operate in this profession, and I have no problem with him iterating it.
    To hide that fact would be disingenuous.

I believe when his colleague (Thomson) chips in with his political rant about wokeness and the military going to far left. This is not a former soldier, but the politician he has become.

Neil James summed it up nicely in the article

"Neil James from the Australia Defence Association backed Mr Hastie's comments on the military's "core business", but rejected Mr Thompson's claim the ADF was becoming too "politically correct".
    "The whole point about banning stupid cartoon symbols in the defence force is to restore professionalism as a war fighting organisation," he said."
    "It's not a case of political correctness, it's a case of getting rid of a stupid young fashion that detracts from the professionalism."

We have seen a few things coming out of defence lately, that are more an issue with a lack of professionalism than wokeness.

I am all for defence members to have their own down time activities to blow off steam, out of the media eye.
    When they are on duty and in public, it is professionalism that we want to see. That is what installs confidence.

Its a tough job, but its still a job. Employees actions are accountable to their employers.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.