CMR 0.00% 15.0¢ compass resources limited

another update now out, page-16

1. 3,986 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 337
    If I had my druthers Id druther be selling sulphur just now. Its having a price spike or whatever, due to demand from fertiliser manufacturers. Its hard to get any information on price series for this material, which incidentally is a major component of the core of the earth. Its gone from being worth not a lot, to $800 a ton.
    No idea how long this would continue. However one of the posters did some real research (wow!) and came up with information that Oxides ore will only need to be treated a at a low temperature (80 deg) that is its fairly clean ore, -thus comparatively not a heavy sulphur user.

Sulphides, when it gets going (bit unlikely that it wont given that it is one of the worlds larger base metal deposits. Plus its in a politically low sovereign risk country, will produce 136k tonnes pa itself, as a by-product. This will be available for Oxides, so the sooner the Sulphides palnt gets going the better for Oxides.
    re prices- a mine runs for quite a few years- Projections should be long term estimates.
    Er, yes, Cobalt has been lower the past week or two, thanks for pointing that out 2ic, but it isnt $27 a ton its $32 US or $37 Australian, just now (ex Asian smelters) Looks as if its been dragged down by negative sentiment-creating an opportunity to separate fools from their money.
    Given the uses of cobalt, in advanced batteries, and smallish world production, a high price estimate might be $100 a lb, not 50. Getting all excited about a price that has only been in place for three days isnt all that rational.
    Some have said (thank you for the research) that big mines in the Congo will add for supply-well, good, the world is likely to be needing a lot more. But getting anything going in the DR Congo if youve done your homework over the years on that sad, resource rich mess of a country, is like setting up a shop on a trestle in the exercise yard at Goulburn Supermax. Not only is it difficult to do, but as soon as you've done it the regime will use some pretext to take it off you, or another of their interminable tribal wars will break out. If the Chinese are in there, you can bet on it. Look at what is happening to Anvil.
    ie dont take too much notice of short term fluctuations in long term projections.
    Copper is harder to find, so is Nickel and we are having to mine laterite because there arennt enough sulphides being found. That needs sulphur to process it.

CMR is about Sulphides. Oxides is just a sideshow. If you keep the big picture in mind while the speculators who jump at shadows are only taking notice of the latest short term data, it provides an opportunity to buy from them when they are silly in a downward direction and vice versa in the upward. Right now I suspect its the former.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CMR (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.