Anti-vaxxer NSW local election hopes dashed

1. 9,225 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 7
    Multiple anti-vax candidates, who aimed to take over local councils in NSW, have had their hopes dashed because they weren't able to read and comprehend information on how to nominate themselves, according to the Daily Telegraph, ABC Health and the Daily Mail.

Raw chicken-eating anti-vaxxer activist Tom Barnett, who claims to have "an unusually high IQ", was not able to comprehend the guidelines on the council website and consequently failed to register in time in his bid to be Mayor on Byron Bay Council. He told his followers on Facebook not to be put off, saying: 'If you're not in the shire you can still vote in spirit. All we need to do is focus on our vision and we win no matter what'.

The Shoalhaven Community First group - led by Councillor Nina Digiglio, a prominent anti-vaccination advocate - planned to nominate seven candidates for the local government elections on December 4, including Cr Digiglio. Unfortunately the Councillor was not able to comprehend her own Council rule that stated she must secure two nominations from the community. Having left her nominations to the very last minute, she couldn't provide the information and fill out the nomination form successfully. She commented, "My personality, I am a very big-picture person, personally I missed a detail and I have to own up to that."

It does seem relevant that groups of anti-vaxxers in two different NSW council areas, who claim to be able to absorb and comprehend masses of information about the details of vaccine (leading them to ignore medical advice and health guidelines), are showing an inability to absorb and comprehend straightforward electoral rules written in clear and plain language.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.