BRN 5.56% 17.0¢ brainchip holdings ltd

Anticipated BRN Questions Answered, page-28

1. 8,917 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 32
    Gearitup - correct. I just made the point that A) no advisory would recommended such a strategy of 100% in one company, and B) one has to meet the 'sole purpose test' as detailed in the SIS legislation.

Trading is deemed to be running a business and under ATO rules would be taxed as such. The SIS rules prevent one from running a business in a SMSF. Thus if so deemed by the ATO to be running a trading business it would most likely be in breech of the SIS rules.

To sum up, investing 100% in one company is fine, albeit very high risk. Doing same and trading in and out of said company or other companies on a frequent basis is as risk of being denied SMSF status and having to pay back the tax breaks, IMO.

At the end of the day this is a complex area and I do not attempt to give advice - but to raise the Q so advice can be sought from others who are professionally qualified to do so.

Maybe best to transfer this discussion to the Superannuation thread, as I don't wish to bore folks that are not interested in superannuation and tax etc?

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add BRN (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
17.0¢
Change
-0.010(5.56%)
Mkt cap ! $333.6M
Open High Low Value Volume
18.0¢ 18.5¢ 17.0¢ $2.303M 13.21M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
149 3707748 17.0¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
17.5¢ 1173238 17
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 27/08/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
BRN (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.