Any builders out there - Help Needed Please

1. 28,561 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 423
    My townhouse is very very very hot upstairs. Sometimes hotter than the outside temperature.
    Of course, the hot air from inside rises up the staircase and the fact my property is on the high side of the street and the fact that it is west facing and the fact that the external walls on the first floor are probably low thermal material. and the fact I don't have double glazing, and the fact I don't have external blinds, but....

I decided to get installed a whirly appliance called Solar Whizz. Not sure, but I may have done by dough. It is making just a few degrees difference. I reckon 3-4 degrees, Celcius, at most.

Should I now install external coverings and if so, which kind? They will cost me a heap as well, given they need to be operated from inside so maybe a bit elaborate and costly? Of should I get:

Outdoor aluminium shutters?
    Upgrade the Solar Whiz to a bigger motor with larger fan and solar panel but risk the noise level becoming a problem?
    (Not sure, but heard from someone that there is a noise problem because as soon as the sun rises the Whiz is working sometimes while you are trying to sleep and the bigger motor is noisy and the source of many complaints from owners. Not sure, how to find out the truth re this as I have been offered to have this changed over to the bigger motor at no extra cost.)
    Just give up and continue to live downstairs almost exclusively during the hot weather (done this for the past 10 years, but was wanting an environmentally responsible solution to this problem). Hence refrigerator style airconditioning is not an option for me.

Anyone, please?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.