Acceptable magnetism in 316 has changed significantly over the...

1. 7,087 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 74
    Acceptable magnetism in 316 has changed significantly over the last few years.

A lot of 316 is now magnetic to various degrees.
    - India and China have both increased the levels of Chromite they are using, this can impact.
    - When 316 is worked it can become magnetic.
    - Composition of 316 varies from product to product (and producer to producer).

Equally Australia is pretty average in acceptance of SS product, just whack 316 on it and cool as every one is happy.

We bring in a lot of 316 from overseas, the best stuff comes with full documentation about where the raw materials for the batches comes from.
    However the market struggles to differ between sched 10 and sched 40 fittings.. so when you buy it just hope it is from someone who does know the difference.

I was staggered to lose business Friday where the customer understood the difference between 201 and 300 yet purchased 300 as it was cheaper. 201 is what was required (high tensile).

That said, I am with the others...

Definitely dont buy a cheap submersible, Grundfos are great to deal with, but just dont email them... phone call is much better.
    They will generally go out of their way to help you out, obviously hang it on a decent cable.
    (I am not associated with them)

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.