APT 0.00% $66.47 afterpay limited

Any thoughts on the CBA bnpl product?, page-157

1. 1,032 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 154
    Just replying myself, the highlights are:

1. “The front page of your Money app will be around the things that are relevant to you,” she says. “The user experience is more like a shopping experience than it is a banking experience. It doesn’t look like, here are your accounts and here are your balances. It’s more around things like, what are the things in my wish-list at the moment that I am saving for.”

2. “Why should banks be nervous?” We have a deeply engaged consumer that trusts us that we can find offers to help them navigate life more effectively in a way that resonates with them. It is colourful and beautiful.”If banks figure Afterpay is only considering playing around the edges of banking, they would be wrong: Hatton reveals it is preparing to enter the space head on, and the message to its customers will be: “You can throw away your existing cards – they will no longer be necessary.”

3. With Afterpay investors interested in its strategic thinking on creating new revenue streams, Hatton says while the first version of the app will be focused on money management, over time Afterpay could become a loan broker and earn income from referring customers to trusted partners, such as Westpac, for loan products.“You can see it going through to mortgages and home lending one day down the track,” she says. “We don’t want Millennials and Gen Z to give up on owning a home and there is all that potential along the way, but first we will navigate BNPL and consumers savings and transacting with us every day.”

4. With slides presented by CBA at its half-year results in February showing the bank losing market share in the key 18-34-year-old demographic, one CBA has dominated for decades, some analysts are questioning whether CBA’s brand resonates as strongly with younger generations as it once did. Hatton confirms Afterpay will be playing the trust card to entice its existing customer base into banking.

5. “The Afterpay fee incorporates more than just a transaction, it incorporates data benefits, cross-marketing opportunities and its role as a customer acquisition channel … the decision to use a CBA card is made at point of sale whilst the decision to use Afterpay is made at the beginning of the shopping journey,” Evans & Partners executive director Matthew Wilson said in a note.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add APT (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.