anybody thinking of buying??, page-39

1. 2,755 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 27
    Sniffing around online to see what can be rented in Brighton for $260 or less... if I ever end up in one of them, something has gone horribly wrong.

Can you post a link to one of those that you think would be horrid to live in?

I did a search on RE.com.au (Brighton, 2 bedroom) and there were only 3 results.

The one I live in is in a group of 4, 1990s build, has aircon, reasonably modern kitchen, bathroom a bit dated. From outside it doesn't look like much, just like any other unit out there.

I rented it privately so likely have a slightly better price than those you will see advertisd, but it doesn't change the fact that my example is close enough to the buy vs rent situation in any metro areas with average rental returns around 4% for houses and 5% for units in capital city metro areas.

We have all these people obsessing over property and flooding the board with doom and gloom, but how many of them are living life styles the supposed loser property investors would trade for?

That's a pretty broad stroke you choose to paint. All property investors are living in mansions are they? I choose to live in a modest abode. I have several hundred thousand worth of other assets (between myself and partner) so if we wanted to live in a nicer house we could.

What's the point? We're a young couple with no plans to have kids in the next few years, we're living in a nice area with the beach only a couple of hundred metres from our front door, I have a brand new motorbike, but we choose to live in a modest unit so that we can put the saved $ towards something more productive.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.