Anyone been to Vcat for real estate agent disputes?

1. 1,917 Posts.
    Partner and i just moved out after 6 months. We broke out lease on the grounds of the house being uninhabitable. From the day we moved in the roof leaked in the only 2 bedrooms and in the hall over the old school fuse box. We would call the agent weekly and they would send someone out to replace a tile but the problem never went away.
    They agreed for us to go but have just sent me a bill for $600 with no list of costs. I originally told them i would never pay as it has caused us a lot of bother (i work away and its mostly the pregnant wife and 14 month old child dealing with water) but they said we could negotiate when the time came. And no i don't have that in writing

Both bedroom ceilings have brown stains and cracks and the one over our bed seemed quite water logged.

A few days after we moved out (still paying rent of course) i went back to clean the garage and there is a plumber there replacing the whole roof! Every tile and gutter stripped and being replaced with colourbond.

I realise you need to pay a fee if you break a lease but is this still the case if the house has major issues and is considered uninhabitable? 6 months with water dripping is a long time of sleepless nights.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.