anyone ever had a race horse or been in a synd, page-20

1. 4,833 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1
    hi doogs,

your post brings back memories of a horse called rhinegold. beaten the shortest of heads in the English derby 1972. won the arc later same yr. I got to the point of buying a 100th share after rhinegold won the dante stakes, (pre derby trial race of repute). got beaten when one person wanted to take all the owner did not want to keep. rhinegold then raced with two owners.

anyway there was hardly an uglier animal than rhinegold but he had breeding, excellent 'french' breeding to stay 2 miles / 3200km. I doubt any nag could have beaten him in the Melbourne cup, he stayed forever and had that turn of speed only a group 1 winner consistently has. ran twice as a 2yo being beaten by 10 lengths each time. how I came to notice him was he got beaten by what was then the best 2yo ever to have raced on the uk turf. crowned prince was the name but prince strated to suffer from soft pallet and never ran after his unbeaten 2 yr old career. so that left rhinegold the best !

I took 100-1 ante post for that derby. got 9-2 for his dante win and let him run without my purse when he won the arc. lester piggot took that arc on rhinegold. great memories.

gotta go or ted will be on my back.

you gonna write that book 40 ?

which one ted ?

I would like to get 'where I hung my hat' written but who's gonna read it ted ?

one day maybe, maybe.

be good,

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.