anyone ever had a race horse or been in a synd, page-24

1. 516 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 53
    40, you are right about mates telling mates.
    To overcome this everyone agreed to pool betting money and collect the average price overall. This went a long way to stop people pinching your price for if you didn't get on you didn't win.
    I recall once at a country meeting I had a decent bet on my own horse. I had a mate who was a good driver but he was a sly little bugger and used to get his dad to bet for him. Not getting the odds he wanted because I backed the horse I overheard him tell him tell his dad the price was no good. I then ripped up my tickets before the race and to this day don't know how he managed to make losing look so good.
    I vowed never to let him drive a horse for me again.

Some years later I helped out in his stable and would get told this and that. They say revenge is best served cold so one day I sent in a punter and pinched his price. When this happened there was a means of letting the driver know. Somehow I managed to misunderstand this time and never passed the message on.

Owners and gamblers have the problem of greed. I recall two examples that illustrate this.
    One owner of a fairly good horse was told by the driver before the race that a certain other horse was the one he should he should have a bet on as it was a boat race. Believing his horse to be the best he went and only backed his inspite of what he had been told. He then blamed the trainer for losing.

At a country meeting in late November a punter who looked like he was a refugee who had fallen on bad times produces $500 and gives to my mate whose stable was firing at the time. Have a bet for me the next time you think you will win and keep half he said. I felt sorry for this bloke but despite my best efforts I couldn't talk him out of this. My mate tells me Im stupid and to come and have a beer. At the bar he gives me a wad of money. What's that for? I asked.
    He replied half is from the $500 we just scored as I know the next horse will lose. The rest ($400) was half of the winnings he cheated an owner out of earlier in the night.

Little wonder the trots was known as "the red hots"

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.