ANZ 1.28% $28.51 anz group holdings limited

I'm amazed banks continue to push out these type of unsecured...

1. 2,000 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 27
    I'm amazed banks continue to push out these type of unsecured warrants.

Does ANZ really think a 4.5% interest rate (BBSW+4.75%)*(1-tax rate) for the current BBSW of 1.73% (3 month)) is reasonable reward for the risk associated with the warrant?  A 1.5% premium to secured, government guaranteed term deposits attracting 3% is nowhere sufficient enough for that risk given:
    • The warrant is unsecured
    • The warrant is junior to just about every other debt ANZ may have except ordinary shares
    • Can be converted at any time to ordinary ANZ shares at ANZ's whim
    • Any conversion is subject to an undisclosed and arbitrary maximum no. of shares
    • ANZ can arbitrarily decide not to pay the coupon, solely at their discretion, without affecting normal dividends
    The last lot of capital notes issued by a bank (WBCPF) could be picked up for as low as $94 not long after floating and have only once traded at or above their face value of $100.  You can still pick them up below face value today.  This is also true of NABPB and CBAPD, amongst others, although some of the older issues with a higher interest rate now command a premium (eg, CBAPE).

Senior company bonds (ie, ranking before most creditors), commonly with a BBB credit rating, can often pay a coupon rate higher than this, are secured, and must be redeemed by cash.  OK, these bank warrants come fully franked, but tax is never a good driver for investment decisions.

The Australian banks taking ozzie investors for a ride continues?

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ANZ (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.