Scott, thanks, you’re too kind. if I’m reading you correctly...

1. 9,170 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 506
    Scott, thanks, you’re too kind.

if I’m reading you correctly you’ve aligned Australia’s freedoms with being a signatory to ANZUS.

if so I reckon you’re drawing a pretty long bow there my friend.

I’ve swam in the Coral Sea but you’re much closer to the area than me.

there’s no question that America came to our rescue in the Battle of the Coral Sea by turning the Japanese fleet around. But the Japanese were sailing for Port Moresby I believe, not northern Australia.

that battle was but a prelude to the Battle of Midway just months later, when the US tore the guts of the Japanese carrier fleet, a loss from which it never recovered.

but for the sake of discussion, let’s say America did save Australia during WW2, at least through their action in the Pacific. Of course they were barely sighted in Broome, Darwin and New Guinea, but that’s another story.

how long does it take to pay our dues for their help in WW2. I’m pretty sure we’ve squared everything off there by now. Australian blood spilt through Asia and Southeast Asia for zero identifiable gain.

getting involved in any bizarre attempt by the US to prop up their fading empire now by taking on China over Taiwan would be a grave mistake for Australia. Indeed as it would be America.

it’s real swinging dick stuff to imagine any upside at all for us in this scenario. It’s pretty much all unlimited downside. Not our ball game hombre.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.