Apocalyptic crybabies ... greens, ALP and LNP need to tell the truth, page-5

1. 9,152 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 498

The Guardian is now running a news feature series entitled The Polluters. There is a host of original material covering much of the existential issues of AGW and climate. I commend the series.

today’s Guardian mailout included an opinion piece by columnist George Monbiot. I’m not going to repost much of his piece, so much as give a small taste to pique interest.

the piece is headlined thus:

“The big polluters’ masterstroke was to blame the climate crisis on you and me”

and

“Fossil fuel giants have known the harm they do for decades. But they created a system that absolves them of responsibility”

and here are a few lines from the piece:

”A paper published in Nature shows that we have little chance of preventing more than 1.5C of global heating unless existing fossil fuel infrastructure is retired. Instead the industry intends to accelerate production, spending nearly $5tn in the next 10 years on developing new reserves. It is committed to ecocide.”

So, just to summarize, capital investment planned in crude oil exploration and production in the next 10 years of around US$5 trillion means the industry is committed to “ecocide”.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.