apolitical, page-12

1. 43,442 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 642
    I think you're on the mark with different paths pierogi.... we all take in what we find and can search for or what is available... I'm guessing too that I may have a decade on you...

interestingly I've always had a desire to hear and read more European art but having an anglo background have always gone toward words I can understand without too great an effort. yet I understand from translators and editor's notes that its far better to understand in the original language, and certainly I can see the translator's point reading Emile Zola's 1880 books in English and think of what the French word would be to obtain that meaning which does not quite fit English right.

I would love the read Dostoyevski and Ibsen too, and Homer, Virgil and Aeschylus, Plato etc etc in their own tongue. and tried to pick up a little of Old Testament different versions with translator's commentaries. but where does one find time to achieve all that is there in this life to learn?

At uni Van Gogh was given as an example of bi-polar but diagnostics change and historians often write according to their own beliefs as much as historical facts. Certainly van Gogh's letters show signs of mania at times off-set with depression - but that too could be the interpretation of the biographer. I've also read that he had seizures, but then the usage of the words 'fits' and 'seizures' have changed in 100 years and there are many possible causes of seizures as well as types and effects.

anyway.... and now for something completely different... I was looking for bit of medieval and chanced upon ... I think you might like it ;-)

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.