Ah Lappy, agree to an extent with the 1st nation sentiments...

1. 1,795 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 237
    Ah Lappy, agree to an extent with the 1st nation sentiments especially the environmental aspect but I fear am having words thrust down my throat (if I dare suggest that)

I don’t see the Australian culture as the ‘yahoo blokie larrikin fair go’ image as portrayed by media and political noise, I would have thought rather a common understanding of what it is to be Australian and carried within us all.

Maybe if you have to explain it, I am answering my own question in that it does not exist and therefore will not be missed.

I see the Australian culture as a product of its institutions, our systems of education, support, environment, social justice, individual freedoms, free press, secularism and judiciary and yes the missed opportunities to listen to those here before us.

These are good and bad, they are what time has delivered and a value attached through open discussion without application of labels.

This has given the majority of its inhabitants a unique confidence to have a natural scepticism of authority, the ability to call out BS, a healthy disdain of conformity and the natural default that is self-depreciation.

Language reinforces culture, I disagree with my friend Dave R as I see Australia moving away from a common language.
    Phrases repeated 1000’s of times a day define who we are.

An example being off the top of my head ‘get ya hand off it, Dave’, not even sure if its origin is Australian but if not should be as in my eyes it says so much of what Australia is and should be.

Nb. Just using the name Dave as a name plucked out of the air, not playing the man.
    I’m sure all could name 2 or 3 off top of their heads that sit well their idea of who they are.

Culture is a product of ‘sustained’ change not disruption to achieve short term goals, that’s my point.

Maybe just having a Pauline moment, indeed am afraid, should read the labels applied and conform.

Nah, I'm calling out the BS.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.