MNW 0.00% 1.0¢ mint payments limited

Apple Pay, page-8

1. 1,924 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 38
    Apple pay is basically a credit card on your phone. Mint doesnt compete with card issuers so it wont really affect Mint. The machines should all be able to accept Apple pay with no or little adjustment.

For others, Apple Pay is targeting the card issuing space (ie. the company who issues the card). The card issuer gets the interchange fee on a transaction (hence how they can sell you poins for spending). Apple Pay wants a cut of this. As the card market is an oligopoly in Australia, Apply Pay is having trouble getting traction. If I were a big 4 bank, I too would tell Apple Pay to jump in the lake. Thats why Amex cards (not issued through banks) have just signed up to apple pay. Amex have a high interchange fee and thus is willing (obviously) to give Apply a cut as they believe it will increase market share. In the USA, there is way more competition in the market and so all the banks felt they had no choice but to sign up. Google wallet (i think thats what its called or i could be thinking of a samsung pay product) I believe isnt trying to squeeze margin from the banks for them to put their cards on the google system. This product has a much higher chance of getting up in Australia merely coz the banks will partner with it. They'll likely then use this data to sell stats (like quantium) if they are able to capture it. That data itsself if worth getting into the market for. Apple is being both greedy (typical) and showing a lack of understanding of the credit card market in Australia and its dominance by the big 4.

I hope thats helps clear things up a little.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MNW (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.