LYC 0.28% $7.10 lynas rare earths limited

AR, page-3

1. 1,123 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 763
    Well done CJ I mostly agree with you: you're finally learning a thing or 2 here.
    In particular, I agree with the need to reassess your previous estimate of their breakeven point (or COP).
    I disagreed recently with your naive assumption that Lynas would sell anything if it made any profit (39821535 and your previous post).
    Seems you now see my point there; hard to miss it now we've seen their 35% profit margin on what they DID choose to sell. I won't rehash the argument here.
    We were both confused by their decision to cut back production. My reasoning was: make it and stockpile more if that's best. After all there may be a halt/further impediments to production. (This was before the license extension ann.)
    Amanda addressed this quite specifically in the Q&A section. Last year's December shutdown due to regulatory throughput constraints (not being increased) was a major disruption. Better to operate at the steady state that maximises allowed processing with no disruptions. Makes sense.
    The $80m profit in poor market conditions is no suprise once you recognise that Lynas is a low cost producer. Don't forget that when they needed to they were selling INTO China, much to Jack Lifton's suprise. (Was his analogy Coals to Newcastle or Ice to Eskimos? I can't recall.)
    They don't need the "ROW Producer" boost to be a globally competitive producer. But it does help.
    The capital outlay of building C&L in WA is a hit; about a year in terms of their overall development IMO. Long term it may well be a good thing given the boost in capacity and expected efficiencies gained from 10 yrs experience with the LAMP. I don't expect any significant change in overall COP. Greater efficiency, more automation and expanded capacity being balanced by higher transport, chemical and labour costs.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LYC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$7.10
Change
0.020(0.28%)
Mkt cap ! $6.636B
Open High Low Value Volume
$7.05 $7.10 $7.01 $26.26M 3.714M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 21895 $7.09

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$7.10 46946 15
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 21/05/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
Last
$7.07
  Change
0.020 ( 0.02 %)
Open High Low Volume
$7.05 $7.09 $7.02 400096
Last updated 15.59pm 21/05/2024 ?
LYC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.