Are dark days just starting, page-5

1. 937 Posts.
    I don't think dark days are necessarily coming but the future may be interesting in some aspects.

Obviously the property market in Australia is varied and at different stages. I have residential properties in Sydney and no interest in buying anything in the near or even medium term future. The last few years have been very good for those holding property in Sydney.

Well positioned, quality and appropriately funded property will do well over the long term in my view.

Notwithstanding, I consider that as a broad principle, those purchasing in Sydney or Melbourne now are doing so at the peak of the current cycle, give or take, hence the risk level is higher than it has been. The prudential lending controls being phased in for property investors with the financial institutions are a prudent action at this point in time.
    For me, the next few years are about paying down investment property debt (overall LVR about 16% on resi property but happy to reduce it) slowly but consistently, more gradual exposure to the share market and super.

If I suddenly had a windfall of say, $500,000 it would not find its way into the property market in its current form. That is my position based on my circumstances, of course we are all different and look from perspectives of PPOR or investment which could legitimately result in some entering the market even at this time.

I do not consider myself a bull or a bear, no intention of buying or selling - sitting on the sidelines being as prudent as I can be.

Best to all

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.