are religion and science complementary, page-6

1. 6,684 Posts.
    s2000ap - I agree

bozwell - you're an interesting character. I appreciate the heads-up re-Ravi Ravindra and will track down his book. Just as an aside - I have produced a novel that contains the poem Hope Springs Eternal by Pope at a pivotal point in the storyline.

taughtbuffet & Director 12 - it was an overgeneralisation on my part I admit. There are questions that only religion can seem to unlock, and yes, scientific types can be as oblivious to the source of the wonders they are trying to reveal as anybody.

Any religious belief which is not conformable with scientific proof and investigation is superstition, for true science is reason and reality, and religion is essentially reality and pure reason; therefore, the two must correspond... If we say religion is opposed to science, we lack knowledge of either true science or true religion, for both are founded upon the premises and conclusions of reason, and both must bear its test.

This is the pointy end that makes organised religion as I find it impossible to swallow. The Adam and Eve tale for example, loses so much when applying a literal belief to the account as compared to drawing out the raft of spiritual concepts contained within this teaching.

Don't get me wrong, I believe in organised religion, it's an essential part of the social and spiritual fabric of society. It's what will take us beyond todays mess and enable us to have a collective future. But where is this straight path?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.